Two posts in less than a week?? I did promise y’all I would be more focused now so yay:) I came across a blogging challenge on twitter from the @AfroBloggers account. 30 days, 30 different topics to cover to help one either start a blog or in my case – restart blogging and I decided to do it in a different way. Instead of prolonging the actual writing process I intend on doing by rolling out 30 posts throughout this month on the prompts given on the challenge… I’ll cover those prompts here, summarize a bit so it’s not an entire novel and get both of us reacquainted with each other in half the time! I hear cheers in the imaginary crowd in my head so I’ll just go ahead and start.
Apologies in advance for the possibly long post below.
1. Your Blog’s Name: Well… wrytershaven is something that came to me late 2015 when I was revamping the entire blog and moving from blogger to wordpress. The former title was wrytersden – which I coined back in 2011 because I wanted it to be a nice little den of sorts for me and my random rants. When the idea to move platforms and redesign occurred to me – wordpress wouldn’t accept wrytersden for some weird unknown reason so just switched it to a Writer’s Haven, which to me sounds a lot more grown up. A perfect clean space to not just rant anymore but to share my findings on things I find interesting and cool. So yeah – writer’s haven. Also spelt as Wrytershaven just because I like to be different sometimes.
20 10 Facts About Me: – I’m 5’8
– I’m the eldest of 4 kids
– I’m very shy off paper/digital paper
– I hate avocado (don’t kill me!)
– I of course love books, writing and anything to do with editorial work other than transcribing
– I hate complacency
– I love food, particularly breakfast food & desserts
– I have a love/hate relationship with coffee
– I’m that person who hasn’t watched a single episode of Game of Thrones (don’t kill me!)
– Sunrise (when I actually wake up for it) and sunset are my favourite times of day
3. Your Favourite Quote: I have two and one I’m not sure who said it.
“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, ‘Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?’ Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It’s not just in some of us; it’s in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.” Marianne Williamson
“You cannot pour from an empty cup” Whoever said this and made it fact was speaking so much truth! One needs to be good with themselves first before they give unto others, you can’t give if you have nothing to give. #SelfLove
4. Your Dream Job: I would do just about anything to be a travel writer. Also a wedding planner.
5. Your Proudest Moment: When I first got published in Forbes Africa. Such a defining moment for me as a writer.
6. What Are You Afraid Of ? Two things – Spiders and disappointing the ones I love.
7. Your 5 Favourite Songs: There’s so many!!! But fine, I’ll just link the five I’ve had on replay for a while here.
8. Five Current Goals: – kill it at my new job
– blog consistently until the end of the year
– find an idea for a new project hopefully before October
– get more work published
– save effectively
9. What’s in Your Bag/Wallet? So much. Anyone who knows me knows I carry around big and/or heavy bags all the time, I really don’t know why. Right now in my bag I have – my wallet, toiletry bag, keys, DL, a notebook, a bunch of pens, post-its, pocket tissues, wet wipes, hard drive, laptop charger, phone charger, umbrella, mints, novel, phone and lip balm. On some days, if it can fit, my water bottle.
10. Best Trip Of Your Life: I was literally just thinking about it today. This time last year I was living my best life in Milan, Italy with some friends then took a solo trip to Rome – best trip ever. Italy – summer 2016, I’ll never forget you.
11. Ten Favourite Foods: Fam. You really don’t want me to do this. ONLY TEN??? How Sway? Sigh, okay here goes but please know this isn’t a concise list. There’s always so much more!
– Rice & Beans (yeah I’m that person)
– Gourmet burgers – yep, not just any burger.
– All breakfast food except eggs
– CAKE. Particularly tiramisu, cheesecake and german chocolate, but I don’t discriminate from other flavours
– Samosas – I especially love those from the Talisman
– Ribs – really good ribs
– Chicken – because who doesn’t like chicken
– Mangoes – LOVE THEM
– Mandazis – particularly the ones from my aunts house, so cinnamony, so warm, so fresh… hmmmm.
12. Your Favourite Childhood Book: The Mallory Towers and St Clare series by Enid Blyton. Also Harry Potter.
13. What’s Inside Your Fridge? Not really sure right now, haven’t looked inside it since this morning. Probably just leftovers.
14. Three Healthy Habits: Green Tea morning, noon and night. A litre of water a day (still yet to complete a litre). Walk everywhere if you can.
15. Where Will You Be In 5 Years? I hope I’ll be living the life I’ve been praying for by then and even earlier.
This wasn’t as easy as I thought… it’s no wonder they said it should take 30 days. Oh well, one half done, next half next week. Don’t know if this gave you more insight into my life or not but hope you enjoyed nonetheless.